1997 AP Psychology Free-Response Questions
Directions: You have 50 minutes to answer BOTH of the following questions. It is not enough to answer a question by merely listing facts. You should present a cogent argument based on your critical analysis of the question posed.
- Many people are concerned about the effects of the use of physical punishment to modify the undesirable behavior of children.
- Basing your answer on psychological knowledge, apply each of the following in an argument against the use of physical punishment.
· Classical conditioning of fear
- How would psychologists use the following processes to modify children’s undesirable behavior?
· Positive reinforcement
- Although personality is generally consistent throughout the life span, some people exhibit major personality changes.
- How do each of the following help explain BOTH continuity and change in personality?
· Biological factors
· Learning factors
· Situational factors
· Cognitive factors
- How would any TWO of the above interact to produce change in the trait of shyness?